Monday, October 3, 2011

Montezuma Castle by Zak

The main event for today was earning my Junior Ranger Badge at Montezuma Castle. Montezuma Castle is the ruins of the homes of the Sinagua people. What makes it so special is that it is built on a cliff face.



To get our Junior Ranger Badges, me and Emma had to find and learn about the wildlife, and history in the area. We had a sheet of paper with questions on one side asking us about the lifestyle of the Sinagua people, the animals and how they survived, and how the Sinagua people used the trees in their daily lives. On the other side, there was a bingo sheet and we crossed off things as we saw them. I found everything on my bingo sheet except for rock squirrels and chipmunks (surprisingly). And I answered all the questions correctly. We got a certificate and a badge and we had a small swearing in ceremony.

I was intrigued by the people and their lifestyles and how they survived in the hot desert. They disappeared from their homes in 1400 AD and nobody knows why.

The most interesting fact I learnt was about the wildlife was about the Tarantula Hawk. The female Tarantula Hawk paralyses a tarantula and lays her eggs inside it. Then when the eggs hatch, the lavae feed on the tarantula. It was good to find out the proper name for the Tarantula Hawk as I had been calling it a Dragon bug.

by Zak


- Posted using BlogPress from Mum's iPad

3 comments:

  1. I wondered how the people got up into the rocks as it is pretty high up. It sounds as if you learnt heaps about the area and people. Better than learning it at school - as you see it and understand about it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used ladders to get to there homes.
    _ Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting Blog post. And great photograph. I am particularly interested in this one as I am fascinated by anthropological stuff. I am now going to have to Google Sinagua people and Uncle Hamish wants to know more about the Tarantula Hawk.

    ReplyDelete