Monday, October 3, 2011

Montezuma Castle by Emma

The highlight of the day was visiting Montezuma Castle. In the visitor's center, I looked at history and artifacts. One of the park rangers asked me if I would like to do a Beaver Creek Bingo which sounded like a treasure hunt so I decided to participate. On one side we had a bingo board where you crossed out the things you saw. On the other side you could answer questions. Me and Dad walked along the trial observing the history and facts about the wildlife. We thought that cliff swallow nests looked rather like beehives. Dad discovered in a book from the visitors center that the sting of a Tarantula Hawk was the most powerful in North America.

I received a Certificate of Achievement as a Junior Ranger for Montezuma Castle National Monument. We also got a badge and had a ceremony for it. He made us swear that we would protect the land and wildlife, hike safely, and clean our rooms every night. Which made Zak say 'No!' immediately. I would probably not say yes because if I had had the chance because I don't usually clean my room that regularly as it is not my favorite things to do.

The most interesting fact was that the whole civilization suddenly fled from their cliff side homes.


Cliff Swallow Nests.

By Emma


- Posted using BlogPress from Mum's iPad

2 comments:

  1. you certainly are learning a lot whilst on your holiday and its good that you will have so many photos to look at and remind you of such a special time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Hamish here using Auntietine's post. Zak & Emma when you come home you will have to clean your rooms every night or the Tarantula Hawk will get you!! Auntie Tine here - great photo Emma and now I am wishing I was traveling around the US National Parks again rather than sitting here on a wet horrible evening wondering what to cook for dinner! Look forward to photo session of all of your photos when you get back.

    ReplyDelete