Monday, December 31, 2012

Anatoki salmon fishing

Today we went to the Anatoki Salmon farm to catch some salmon. These are their rules: if you catch a salmon and release it, you must pay $50 for the fish's funeral. When you catch a salmon you have to kill it with a spike in the chilly bin. (Dad did that part for me and Zak). Then you give it to the cooks and you select your choice of seasoning and pay them $19 per kilogram.
They supplied the fishing rods, a net and a chilly bin which we took to the fishing pond. Dad gave me a hand with casting the line. I almost caught a fish a couple of times. Then I moved to the other side of the pond but after a while I clearly was not going to get a fish so Zak raced over to the fishing shop and brought some bait. Dad tried sticking it on the hook but it broke into two. We soon realized that you had to cast your line and throw in the bait where the hook was. We finally wrestled one up the bank and took both fish back. They smoked one and vacuum packed the other.



Me fishing.


Me holding my slimy fish.

By Emma.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. That looked like fun Emma, and I am sure the fish tasted yummy. Are you going to try whitebait when you get to Greymouth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Emma and I love the photos too. I am sure the salmon tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete