Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bruce rides in an ambulance!

No flashing lights, no siren but it was the only way for me to leave the gym after putting my back out at the weekly work indoor football game yesterday.

I've had trouble with my back since I was a teenager. Mostly I keep on top of it with just enough exercise but occasionally if I over do something and twist it the wrong way I'm left pretty sore and not very bendy for a few days. Last year I had a bit of a problem that kept me away from football for a few weeks but it didn't stop me from riding or working. This is worse...

After a few minutes of play I noted that I didn't feel as flexible as usual and then as I was just moving around on the court following the play something happened and I found it necessary to get all the weight off my back ASAP... I crawled off the court and spent about 15 minutes on the floor before I managed to stand. That didn't last though and I soon realized that I wasn't going back to work so called Cathy. Before she arrived it had gotten to the point where I just could not stand at all so an ambulance was called to deliver me to A&E.

After chatting with nurses and doctors, getting an X-ray, dosing up on painkillers, napping for 90 minutes, more painkillers and muscle relaxants, I was issued crutches and sent home.

I'm a lot better today, using the crutches to take some of my weight off my back when required but not able to bend much or sit up for more than a few minutes at a time. Hopefully, I'll be OK to sit by Monday but I guess I'll be missing football for a few more weeks...

BB.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. A rather dramatic end to the week BB. Glad your back has improved and is less painful now.

    ReplyDelete