Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Milford Sounds

Today we went to Milford Sounds on a boat trip. Milford Sounds is a fiord. A fiord is created by a glacier carving out a valley from a mountain. There are lots of waterfalls in Milford Sounds this increases after particularly rainy weather. There was one wide and large waterfall that we went quite close to, about a meter or two away from it. I was on the deck at the time and I decided to walk up to the bow so I could get sprayed too. It turns out I underestimated the waterfall because my raincoat was covered in water and the front of my trousers were soaked.

There are a lot of steep cliffs in Milford Sounds partly covered in moss and trees. The bare patches are caused by tree avalanches much like snow avalanches.

There were lots of seals sleeping on rocks, and there was a seagull annoying them.



Us on the way to Milford Sounds.




Seagull annoying seal.




The View

By Emma


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. It looks as if you had a really lovely day to go to Milford Sounds. I only got to where the boats go from as we were too late for the last boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo of the seagull annoying the seal Emma.

    ReplyDelete