Saturday, April 7, 2012

I have no hair!

As previously mentioned I signed up to raise money for Leukemia and Blood Cancer NZ. As loss of hair is a common side effect for the treatment of these illnesses, their fund raising promotion is called Shave of a Cure. Their stated goal is to get 10,000 people to shave, representing the 10,000 people suffering from these and related illnesses at any given time in NZ.

I figured that sacrificing my long hair I might be able to raise a reasonable amount of money for this cause and jumped in. Initially I spammed all my friends and relatives and people I work with at Datacom and some of our clients that I work with. Then it got posted on the Datacom intranet...

By the appointed time for the shave (done in the lunch room at work for maximum publicity) I had raised about $3500. Some cash was collected and a few more people donated later bringing the total to $3855. I'm pretty happy with this total. It is more than I really thought I could raise but mostly it isn't about me but about the seriousness of the cause.

So, what does Bruce with no hair look like? Check out the photo I posted on my Shave Page http://www.shaveforacure.co.nz/view_event_profile/6557

I don't like it. I especially don't like how it feels when I, unconsciously, rub my hand over it. I REALLY don't like it when Zak messes with it. He will be lucky if he doesn't lose a hand in the next few days...

BB.

- Posted using BlogPress from Cathy's iPad

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks pretty cool Bruce. I am sure that it was worth it for such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete